Thursday, January 29, 2015

Spreading Joy with Shoeboxes by # 20

On a windy Sunday night I was watching television in the living room when “Ring Ring,” the phone rang.
The sound the phone made was like a siren, but on a toddlers firetruck toy. When I picked it up I saw it was my grandma. I answered it and she asked if I wanted to go wrap shoeboxes with her and I said I would.
Seriously, I did not know why we were going to wrap shoeboxes. I was so confused, you might say puzzled.
My thoughts of what we would be doing shattered when “Honk Honk!”
I was so startled by the sound I did a little jump. When I looked outside I saw my grandma waiting for me. I did not know where we would be going, but 5 minutes later I saw.
There standing in front of me was my little church that looked like a stony, castle shack. When I got inside I saw plastic boxes, toys, school supplies, and toothbrushes.
The room smelled of desserts. So I looked over to see what was causing the smell and I saw cake and rice crispy treats.
I asked my grandma, “What are we doing?”
She replied,”We are packing presents for kids who have never had presents before.”
I was so excited I couldn’t stay still any longer. I just got in line and started to pack.
I wrote letters to whoever these presents were going to, wishing them a Merry Christmas. I knew a letter would make them happy, but to make them even happier I put a big-eyed smiley face on it.

I learned you should help other people even if they are not your family. Some people to not have as much as we do, so when you help someone it feels really good like when you get an A on a math test, but a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment