While aboard the ship that went around Cape Horn seventeen times, I was informed how to do many things. For example, on the Balclutha, I learned how to handle a line, how to conduct nightwatch, and that being a sailor is really hard work.
First of all, I was educated about handling a line. One thing I remembered is to never step over the line. I was also taught what man the line, haul away, and slack away mean. When the captain or one of the sailors say man the line, he expects you to pick the line up. Haul away indicates to pull the line toward you with one hand always on the line, and slack away means to push it away from you.
I also am knowledgeable of how to conduct nightwatch. Nightwatch is when a sailor makes sure there are no icebergs or other ships in the way. They have to stay out for two hours, and when their two hours are up, they wake up the other crew that needs to do nightwatch. That same routine happens until it is 6:00, and then everyone will have to wake up and work their shifts.
Last but not least, I learned that being a sailor is really hard work. Sailors have certain shifts that are four hours long. If a sailor is off of his shift and the captain needs one of them, they need to work anyway, fair weather or not.
In conclusion, I felt really good about learning these new things, so the next time I go on a ship I’ll know what I’m doing. The things I learned on the Balclutha included, handling lines, conducting nightwatch, and being a sailor is really hard work.
No comments:
Post a Comment