Through my bedroom door, just above my mirror, hanging with my hats, is my
second place sparring metal. Even though it took so much time and effort, it was worth
it.
It all started on a Sunday night. I had just got back from my dad’s, and I was pretty happy. My dad had bought me a plastic ninja sword and fake ninja mask. I played with it for hours. When my mom saw my playing with it she signed me up for Taekwondo. When she told me about it, I thought she was crazy. And so it begins.
After a few years of Taekwondo, I was ready for my first tournament. I had no idea what to expect and was very nervous. As we rode along in the car, a flurry of thoughts spun around in my head like an angry tornado. As we came up to our location, I saw a huge warehouse looming over us. Now, I wasn’t just nervous. I was afraid.
As we walked in, I saw four huge mats to the front and the back of the room. To the left and the right were rows of bleachers filled with people. In the middle of the room was a huge mat. Here we go, I thought.
It started off slowly. A little sparring here, some forms there. But eventually it started to get faster and faster until before I knew it, I was on the main matt, ready to fight. Focus, I said to myself. Focus. The senior walked up to stand in between us. “No fouls, ok guys?” we nodded agreeing. “3…..2…..1…fight!”
The rest was a blur. I threw kicks, punches, and blocks, anything I could throw at him. “DING DING!” The bell had sounded. the match was over. My lip was bleeding. So was his. The senior stood in front of us once again. “The winner is…….”
Silence. Dead silence. For 5 long seconds, it was silent. The suspense nearly killed me. But finally, the senior bellowed,”Dean!” The crowd went insane. I was so happy. The next match came and went, and I lost. But I didn’t care, because in the end, as I stood up on the podium, I was awarded my second place medal. Which is through my bedroom door, just above mirror, hanging with my hats.
No comments:
Post a Comment