At about 8:00 AM on Saturday, my dad called me out of my room. I thought I was in trouble , but my dad asked, “Do you want to play soccer this season?’’ Well as a five year old kid, I didn’t know much about soccer, but I knew it was a sport. So I asked, “ Is soccer fun?’’ And he answered, “You’ll find out if you try it.’’ So five days later I joined a five year old team.
After about five weeks of practice, it was time for my first game. My team, the dragons and our coach, Matt, had been preparing for this moment. Now it was time. I had never played a game and was now about to play one in front of what seemed like a hundred people. We wore white and they wore blue. Compared to us, they looked like giants.
The game started. I got the ball, passed it off to my team, and then they passed it back in front of the goal. I kicked the ball as hard as I could, and the crowd started to cheer thinking I would score, but at the last second the goalie stopped it from going in . Then he drop-kicked it to his team, who took it down the field, past our defense and scored it into our goal.
Next time we played our hardest and got our first goal of the season.The crowd cheered. With that last minute goal, the ref blew the whistle for half time. We had snack, oranges and water, while our coach planned our next half of the game. He told me to go to center defense and be ready to stop shots. I went to the position he told me to go to and I was ready.
The ref blew his whistle and a blue shirt came barreling to the goal with the ball. He dribbled too far in front of him and I kicked it away.The ball went up to my team,who scored it in. At that moment I didn’t think soccer could get any better in any way, but it did. We won the game two points to one point and had an amazing time.
We had snack and I could smell the delicious flavors like caramel, chocolate, and jelly doughnuts. I chose caramel, and while we ate, the coach told us what he liked about us and the way we played like “Nice shot’’or “great defense’’. This sport has fun, friends, AND rewards!
After that game we won the whole season and ate lots of doughnuts. After that awesome season, I kept joining soccer teams and having a great time. Soccer is great and so is defense. But no matter how great my other games are or might be, I won’t ever forget that first season, my team, or my coach, Matt.
No comments:
Post a Comment